Senior Applied Scientist, Generative AI, Creative X
Amazon Advertising is one of Amazon's fastest growing and most profitable businesses. Amazon's advertising portfolio helps merchants, retail vendors, and brand owners succeed via native advertising, which grows incremental sales of their products sold through Amazon. The primary goals are to help shoppers discover new products they love, be the most efficient way for advertisers to meet their business objectives, and build a sustainable business that continuously innovates on behalf of customers. Our products and solutions are strategically important to enable our Retail and Marketplace businesses to drive long-term growth. We deliver billions of ad impressions and millions of clicks and break fresh ground in product and technical innovations every day!
The Creative X team within Amazon Advertising aims to democratize access to high-quality creatives (images, videos) by building AI-driven solutions for advertisers. To accomplish this, we are investing in latent diffusion models (LDM), large language models (LLM), computer vision (CV), reinforced learning, and image + video synthesis. The solutions we develop will deployed for use by self-service advertisers and agencies as well as available to the most premium brands that advertise on Amazon. You will be part of a close-knit team of applied scientists and product managers who are highly collaborative and at the top of their respective fields.
We are hiring Senior Applied Scientists, who are adept at a variety of skills in Deep Learning, but namely have experience with computer vision, latent diffusion or related foundational models that will accelerate our plans to generate high-quality creatives on behalf of advertisers. Every member of the team will build and deploy advertiser facing features, contribute to the collaborative spirit within the team, publish work, patent their inventions, and bring cutting edge research to raise the bar within the team.
As a Senior Applied Scientist on this team, you will:
- Be the technical leader in Machine Learning; lead efforts within this team and across other teams.
- Perform hands-on analysis and modeling of enormous data sets to develop insights that increase traffic monetization and merchandise sales, without compromising the shopper experience.
- Drive end-to-end Machine Learning projects that have a high degree of ambiguity, scale, complexity.
- Build machine learning models, perform proof-of-concept, experiment, optimize, and deploy your models into production; work closely with software engineers to assist in productionizing your ML models.
- Run A/B experiments, gather data, and perform statistical analysis.
- Establish scalable, efficient, automated processes for large-scale data analysis, machine-learning model development, model validation and serving.
- Research new and innovative machine learning approaches.
- Recruit Applied Scientists to the team and provide mentorship.
Why you will love this opportunity: Amazon is investing heavily in building a world-class advertising business. This team defines and delivers a collection of advertising products that drive discovery and sales. Our solutions generate billions in revenue and drive long-term growth for Amazon’s Retail and Marketplace businesses. We deliver billions of ad impressions, millions of clicks daily, and break fresh ground to create world-class products. We are a highly motivated, collaborative, and fun-loving team with an entrepreneurial spirit - with a broad mandate to experiment and innovate.
Impact and Career Growth: You will invent new experiences and influence customer-facing shopping experiences to help suppliers grow their retail business and the auction dynamics that leverage native advertising; this is your opportunity to work within the fastest-growing businesses across all of Amazon! Define a long-term science vision for our advertising business, driven from our customers' needs, translating that direction into specific plans for research and applied scientists, as well as engineering and product teams. This role combines science leadership, organizational ability, technical strength, product focus, and business understanding.
Team video https://youtu.be/zD_6Lzw8raE
Key job responsibilities
This role is focused on computer vision, latent diffusion models, and the related foundational models to product generative imagery and videos. You will develop core models that will be the foundational of the core advertising-facing tools that we are launching. You will conduct literature reviews to stay on the cutting edge of the field. You will regularly engage with product managers, who will partner with you to productize your work.
A day in the life
On a day-to-day basis, you will be doing your independent research and work to develop models, you will participate in sprint planning, collaborative sessions with your peers, and demo new models and share results.
About the team
The team is a team of 7-10 applied scientists and two product leaders. We reside in the Creative X organization, which focuses on creating products for advertisers that will improve the quality of the creatives within Amazon Ads.
- 3+ years of building machine learning models for business application experience
- PhD, or Master's degree and 6+ years of applied research experience
- Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, or related quantitative field.
- Published research work in academic conferences or industry circles.
- Experience in building large-scale GAN models and infra for online recommendation, ads ranking, personalization, or search, etc.
- Technical leadership in machine learning.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills with non-technical and technical audiences.
- Experience working with real-world data sets and building scalable models from big data.
- Thinks strategically, but stays on top of tactical execution.
- Exhibits excellent business judgment; balances business, product, and technology very well.
- Experience in computational advertising.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $136,000/year in our lowest geographic market up to $260,000/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.aboutamazon.com/workplace/employee-benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.