Senior Data Scientist - NLP
Chewy is looking for a Senior Data Scientist, Natural Language Processing with experience in NLP/NLU and search relevance. Chewy’s SEO organization is a team of product managers, engineers, analysts, and data scientists responsible for acquiring new customers and revenue through the organic results of search engines like Google and Bing. Our goal is to make it easy for our customers to discover Chewy when conducting a search by delivering a world-class customer experience in a way that search engine crawlers can understand. You will play a pivotal role in building new natural language processing models to power new product features across Chewy.com to help our customers make better purchasing decisions.
What You'll Do:
- Apply your NLP expertise to propose and develop models and solutions to build ML-driven products.
- Be responsible for the full Data Science lifecycle from conception to prototyping, testing, deploying, and measuring the overall business value of the models.
- Conduct exploratory analysis on large sets of text data (search queries, product reviews, product descriptions, etc.) and make recommendations to identify customer problems and inform new product features.
- Devise models and algorithms and guide engineering to develop scalable solutions that can work in real-time with large amounts of data.
- Identify and manage priorities within the context of overall Chewy objectives, and work with colleagues in data science and engineering to drive the best practices in development, testing, and production of models at scale.
- Establish strong working relationship at all organizational levels across different functional teams.
- Work with the data engineering teams to develop the automated pipelines to perform different stages of the model life cycle.
What You'll Need:
- Bachelors’ degree with 5+ years’, Master's degree with 3+ years or PhD 2+ years of relevant experience ideally in natural language processing/natural language understanding, or information retrieval.
- Graduate degree (MS or PhD) in Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics, or related discipline.
- Experience in building and shipping machine learning models for business applications at scale.
- Strong skills with Python as well as experience with NLTK, spaCy, and other NLP libraries.
- Experience with cutting edge technologies in natural language processing such as BERT (Bidirectional Encoder Representations from Transformers), ELMo (Embeddings from Language Models), or GPT-3.
- Experience with deep learning software platforms, such as PyTorch or TensorFlow.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with distributed machine learning and deploying models at scale in cloud environments such as AWS or Google Cloud Platform.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Able to explain details of complex concepts to non-expert stakeholders in a simple understandable way.
- You enjoy working on a team of highly engaged individuals, have a passion for data science and KPIs, and want to work on the cutting edge of your field.
- Proven experience in identifying opportunities for business improvement and defining and measuring the success of those initiatives.
Chewy is committed to equal opportunity. We value and embrace diversity and inclusion of all Team Members. If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, and you need an accommodation during the application process or to perform these job requirements, or if you need a religious accommodation, please contact CAAR@chewy.com.
If you have a question regarding your application, please contact HR@chewy.com.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Our mission is to be the most trusted and convenient destination for pet parents (and partners), everywhere.