Multimodal Product Designer – Conversational Experiences
This is a remote position; the selected candidate can reside and perform the work from anywhere within the United States.
About the Role:
Multimodal Product Designer - Conversational Experiences
Do you have a passion for problem-solving and storytelling? Are you obsessed with studying, understanding and responding to user needs? Do you want to create engaging interfaces that solve real problems and delight users? Then imagine what you can do working with a like-minded, multi-disciplinary team.
Our growing Customer Experience Design group is seeking a passionate and talented Multimodal Product Designer with expertise in Voice/Conversational Design to help us set strategic direction and craft products across multiple brands and digital platforms. Our work touches millions of lives across Web, Mobile, In-vehicle, and other conversational interfaces.
As a Multimodal Product Designer, you will collaborate with other designers, researchers, technologists, and business stakeholders to craft meaningful experiences for our customers through thoughtful design. The ideal candidate will have design skills on both haptic and voice interaction design and a passion for designing digital products
- Provide design leadership through influence, judgment, communication, and collaboration to drive design decisions
- Collaborate closely with team members to craft world-class user experiences across multi-modal products and platforms
- Create design results such as dialog and user flows, prototypes, screen wireframes, and rigorous multimodal user interface specifications
- Document end-to-ends conversational interactions, from happy paths to rainy days
- Lead and support user experience research and testing to validate designs, get user feedback, and see opportunities to improve the customer experience
- Work with product owners and key partners to brainstorm and find opportunities, implementing them as a flawless part of the overall user experience
- Contribute to requirements capturing sessions and user stories from multiple teams and partners
- Support usability testing efforts
- 2+ years of experience designing digital interfaces (web, mobile, in-vehicle, etc.)
- Ability to combine vision with strong creative and tactical planning
- Demonstrated experience in developing dynamic presentations in support of strategies
- Strong portfolio with work samples showcasing expertise in user experience design, craft, aesthetics, and depth of thought
- Strong written, visual, and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in common design tools (e.g.Figma, Axure, VoiceFlow)
- Demonstrated experience documenting both screen-based as well as voice-only experiences
- Interactive prototyping skills for multimodal (voice + visual) experiences
Additional Job Description
- Understanding of basic Conversational Principles for Design
- Basic understanding of Conversational Technologies
- Excellence in technical communication with peers and non-technical cohorts.
- Experience in conversation design and voice/chatbot interfaces
Empathy: You are curious about how other people work, live, and think, you will enjoy meeting the users of our products, and thinking about design by visualizing yourself as one who will use it.
Creativity: You can generate numerous potential solutions to a problem. More importantly, designers can screen out bad ideas and identify good ones. In our design environment, a designer needs the ability to brainstorm without ego attachment to any particular idea.
Superb communication skills: You can communicate broad concepts as well as fine detail through written and graphical media. You can convey design solutions through sketches and visualizations, as well as through prose.
Outstanding collaboration skills: You are an effortless collaborator. You welcome ideas from any source and are prepared to build on them to make the work of your team successful.
Comfort with ambiguity: You are comfortable working in a space where problems and solutions are not well defined. You can cope with change, shift gears comfortably, and can decide and act without having the total picture.
- Bachelor’s degree in Interaction Design, Linguistics, HCI, Product Design, or related discipline.
Please only apply if you DO NOT need sponsorship to work in the Unites States now or in the future. We are unable to consider candidates who require sponsorship.
Compensation: The expected base compensation for this role is: (74,462.68 -121,491.74 USD Annual ). Actual base compensation within the identified
Bonus Potential: An incentive pay program offers payouts based on company performance, job level, and individual performance.
Benefits: GM offers a variety of health and wellbeing benefit programs. Benefit options include medical, dental, vision, Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Accounts, retirement savings plan, sickness and accident benefits, life insurance, paid vacation & holidays, tuition assistance programs, employee assistance program, GM vehicle discounts and more.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
GM is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. GM is committed to providing a work environment free from unlawful discrimination and advancing equal employment opportunities for all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, all practices and decisions relating to terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment are made without regard to an individual's protected characteristics. For purposes of this policy, “protected characteristics" include an individual's actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression, sexual orientation, weight, height, marital status, military service and veteran status, physical or mental disability, protected medical condition as defined by applicable state or local law, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws and ordinances. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We’re on a journey to create a world with zero crashes, zero emissions and zero congestion. See how we’ll get there.