Senior Data Scientist, NLP, Communication Platform
If you like disrupting the norm and are looking for a company revolutionizing an industry then you will LOVE what Carvana has done for the car buying experience. Buying a car the old fashioned way sucks and we are working hard to make it NOT suck. At Carvana, our customers can hop online to...
- Search and browse our inventory of over 20,000 vehicles that we own and certify.
- Narrow down search results using highly intelligent filtering tools/components.
- View vehicle details, Carfax reports, and 360 rotating studio images for every vehicle.
- Secure financing in minutes using Carvana’s in-house service or their own bank.
- Interact with GUI components to easily customize loan length, down payment, and monthly payment.
- Generate, upload, and eSign all documents online (no ink necessary).
- Schedule front door delivery or pick up at one of our vending machines.
- Trade-in their existing vehicle or just sell it to Carvana (no purchase necessary).
About the team and position
The Conversational AI team is a talented and humble group of people with backgrounds in Data Science, Engineering, Product, and Design that are focused on Human Computer interaction (HCI). Our core product is a communication platform that car buyers, sellers and Carvana Advocates rely on every day for a seamless car shopping experience. We focus immensely on the end-consumer and build our systems ground-up to deliver on that experience. We do so by researching and prototyping new advancements in NLP and by working as a team to deploy new features and services to production.
As a core member of the data science team, you will have the opportunity to build or improve our document understanding pipeline as well as various components of a modern chatbot. You will work across many areas of Natural Language Processing and Computer Vision to power products that make it easier for customers and advocates to find answers to their questions. You’ll own and contribute to creating text/document classification, entity extraction, speech recognition, search and information retrieval, question answering, response or content generation models as well as evangelize their usage in Carvana’s broader product offerings. You will have the opportunity to work closely with our Software Engineering, Product and Experience teams to deliver impact on every aspect of the purchase process, from search to vehicle delivery.
What you’ll be doing
- Research, develop, and own our document AI (classification, information extraction, fraud detection) models to reduce the cost of the document validation process
- Develop entity recognition models to help with better understanding of customers’ search queries
- Contribute to improving search and question answering models to help our advocates find relevant answers and content from hundreds of training documents and providing a better service to our customers
- Research and apply SOTA techniques and algorithms in NLU and NLG for creating a smarter AI assistant that answers thousands of customer questions about the car-buying/selling/financing life-cycle
- Work with our Data and Engineering teams to couple front-end systems with back-end data and ML inference services
- Communicate effectively with engineers, product managers, and data scientists
What you should have
- 3+ years of experience as a Data Scientist or Machine Learning Engineer.
- Masters degree in a relevant field (engineering or science) with research experience.
- Extensive experience in building models using Deep Learning & ML frameworks and libraries such as Tensorflow, PyTorch, Keras, Scikit-learn, SpaCy, NLTK.
- Experience with NLP, transformer-based models (such as BERT, GPT, or T5), entity extraction or document AI.
- Experience with SQL and relational databases and cloud APIs (e.g., GCP, AWS, Azure).
- Experience with productionizing models, MLOps, Docker and Kubernetes.
- Understanding of algorithms and data structures and their real-world use cases.
- Self-starter with a love for diving into data, building proof of concepts, and understanding how to incorporate the latest research into solutions.
It would be great if you also had
- Knowledge of or experience with computer vision, dialog systems, speech recognition, reinforcement learning
- Experience with Scala
- Ph.D in a STEM or related field
What does our growth have to do with you?
Only everything. Are you not sure you meet 100% of the qualifications? You should still give it a shot! Research shows that men will apply to a job when only meeting 60% of the requirements, whereas women and members of other systematically marginalized groups typically only apply when they meet every single requirement. At Carvana, we're builders. We build tools, business, and our people. We value diversity in backgrounds and thought, so take a shot and apply! Please highlight some of your accomplishments in your resume and cover letter so we can talk about how you can grow with us.
What we’ll offer in return
- Full-Time Salary Position with a competitive salary.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits.
- 401K with company match.
- A multitude of perks including student loan payments, discounts on vehicles, benefits for your pets, and much more.
- A great wellness program to keep you healthy and happy both physically and mentally.
- Access to opportunities to expand your skill set and share your knowledge with others across the organization.
- A company culture of promotions from within, with a start-up atmosphere allowing for varied and rapid career development.
- A seat in one of the fastest-growing companies in the country.
To be able to do your job at Carvana, there are some basic requirements we want to share with you.
- Must be able to read, write, speak and understand English.
Of course, we’ll make any reasonable accommodations for those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their jobs.
Hiring is contingent on passing a complete background check. This role is eligible for visa sponsorship.
Carvana is an equal employment opportunity employer. All applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Carvana also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
Please note this job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Carvana is on a mission to change the way people buy cars.