Principal Software Engineer - Chatbot
What you'll do...
Walmart’s Customer Care Self-Service group manages several interactive offerings across phone and chat channels to resolve customer issues and inquiries quickly and completely. We leverage ML to predict and classify customer intent, and we deploy bot technologies to guide users through the appropriate self-service workflows. Our work reduces customer effort, increases customer satisfaction, and reduces Walmart operational costs – we have an ambitious multi-year roadmap and are looking for a Principal Software Engineer to serve as technical lead for the Customer Care Chat team through this journey.
You’ll sweep us off our feet if:
- You’re stimulated by challenges and are ready to engage with systems at scale You’re comfortable influencing others, leading technical team members, engaging with stakeholders, obtaining architectural buy-in from peer products, and communicating clearly
- You have a test and learn mentality, and an agile way of working to improve your team’s products You’re excited about solving complex challenges
- You’re customer-centric in spirit and execution You have exposure working with cloud technologies
- You have experience leading teams and implementing technology globally You’re a forever student: someone who loves to continuously learn and strive for excellence You display great communication/collaboration skills and a team-focused approach towards software development
- You’re a disruptive thinker who can lead software innovations You’re experienced with micro services architecture You’re passionate about teaching and mentoring others to be greater than they thought possible You have a great eye for detail and can articulate the specifics of quality design while enforcing engineering principles
- You’re organized, disciplined, and can manage multiple large projects simultaneously You have high standards for code quality and can hold the engineers that you work with accountable to those same standards
What you'll do...
- Provide a complete conversational self-service solution for Walmart Ecommerce customers.
- Provide technical leadership for ten to fifteen engineers in software development and design,
- identifying short- and long- term solutions and timeline; reviewing and approving proposed solutions, implementing new architectural patterns; and performing design and code reviews of changes.
- Architect and build scalable and high-performing services that handle millions of customer conversations monthly.
- Prioritize and measure performance and availability of the system – lead SRE for our production deployments.
- Provide support to the business for new and existing systems by responding to user questions, concerns, and issues (for example, technical feasibility); researching and identifying needed solutions; determining implementation designs; providing guidance regarding implications of new and enhanced systems; and directing users to appropriate contacts for issues outside of own domain.
- Troubleshoot business and production issues by gathering information (for example, issue, impact, criticality); performing root cause analysis to reduce future issues; engaging support teams when needed; developing solutions; driving the development of an action plan; performing actions as designated in the plan; and completing online documentation.
- Demonstrate up-to-date expertise and apply this to the development, execution, and improvement of action plans by providing expert advice and guidance to others in the application of information and best practices; supporting and aligning efforts to meet customer and business needs; and building commitment for perspectives and rationales.
- Provide and support the implementation of business solutions by building relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders; identifying business needs; determining and carrying out necessary processes and practices; monitoring progress and results; recognizing and capitalizing on improvement opportunities; and adapting to competing demands, organizational changes, and new responsibilities.
- Model compliance with company policies and procedures and supports company standards of ethics and integrity by incorporating these into the development and implementation of business plans; using the Open Door Policy; and demonstrating and assisting others with how to apply these in executing business processes and practices.
What you'll bring..
- Technical Solutions Architecture and design leadership
- Around 8 years of total experience with over 3 years of experience in high-volume, high-availability distributed systems
- Experienced in modern OO or functional languages and cloud services
- Strong experience in RESTful Microservices
- Strong API design, development, and management
- Clear Communication, including the ability to create functional charts
- Ability to multitask between several different requirements and features concurrently
- Experience with cloud native technology, CI/CD
- Experience with third-party libraries and APIs
- Superior analytical skills with a good problem-solving attitude.
- Ability to perform in a team environment
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Experience in JVM or .NET environment
- Experience with functional programming
- Experience with high-throughput distributed systems
- Demonstrated understanding of SQL and no-SQL datastores
- Strong Ops background maintaining high-throughput, high-availability, customer-facing systems
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Benefits & Perks:
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
About Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That’s what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We’re a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world’s largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service or some code, but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. Being human-led is our true disruption.
Working virtually this year has helped us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team, be more flexible in our personal lives and spend less time commuting. Today, we are reimagining the tech workplace of the future by making a permanent transition to virtual work for most of our team. Of course, being together in person is an important part of our culture and shared success. We’ll collaborate in person at a regular cadence and with purpose.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and 5 years’ experience in software engineering or related field OR 7 years’ experience in software
engineering or related fieldPreferred Qualifications...
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field and 4 years' experience in software engineering or related fieldPrimary Location...
121 River St, Hoboken, NJ 07030-5989, United States of America
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Save money. Live better.