(USA) Senior Manager II, Software Engineering - Conversational AI
What you'll do...
Working at Sam’s Club means a career without boundaries. There’s always room to grow, to take on another challenge, to roll up your sleeves and contribute, and to find professional rewards for your hard work. Yes, we are a division of the Fortune #1 company, Walmart, Inc. But you’ll quickly find that we’re a company that wants you to feel comfortable bringing your whole self to work. A career at Sam’s Club is where the world’s most complex challenges meet a kinder way of life. Our mission spreads far beyond the walls of our clubs. Join us and you'll discover why our company is a world leader in diversity and inclusion, sustainability, and community involvement. From day one, you’ll be empowered and equipped to do the best work of your life.
Our team is Sam’s Club Conversational AI team (Ask Sam, Voice Re-order, and Guru NLU platform), a part of Walmart Global Tech. Our team is chartered with building the NLU/NLP capabilities to enable multiple Club, eComm and Supply chain departments to manage their own digital assistant. The team is currently working on building open source-based platform to allow skill developers access to self-service tools to manage intents, entity types, webhooks, responses, and conversation flows. We have developed a task oriented virtual assistant that helps club associates do their day-to-day jobs and serve our members. We have added voice ordering capability to Sam’s Club mobile app, to let members order their entire shopping list in one sentence. We are working on bringing innovation to retail by enabling Conversational Commerce capabilities in Sam’s club.
You will be leading a young, highly energetic, and dynamic team, and take part in defining the new age Conversational AI roadmaps. You will work closely with multiple Business and Product stakeholders to understand the requirements, drive design, and deliver solutions while working closely with senior architects and the leadership team. You will also have challenging opportunities to cross-collaborate with inter-disciplinary product and engineering teams to solve some of the unique problems in multi-channel shopping experience.
- You will manage a team of 8-10 engineers and NLP data scientist working on Ask Sam application, Voice Re-order micro-service, and some new Conversational AI initiatives such as Conversational Shopping in Sam’s Club.
- You will collaborate broadly across the software organization with product leadership vision.
- You will lead data driven decision making using analytics and system metrics.
- You will filter requests and demands made to your team so that the engineers you lead can focus on their tasks with fewer distractions and interruptions.
- You will work to remove or mitigate obstacles that interfere with productivity and develop the right level of processes and support to enable higher levels of productivity.
- You will have a strong partnership with our Product, Business, UX and Program management to ensure consistent behavior and align roadmap.
- You will be defining vision and strategies for your product family, using domain expertise, internal and external best practices, identifying market opportunities, building business cases, and approving objectives.
- You will be providing overall direction by analyzing business objectives and customer needs.
- You will be hiring and developing talents with expertise in NLP and Software Engineering.
- M.Sc. Engineering Degree – Computer Science preferred.
- 6+ years of relevant experience, and a minimum of 1 year of experience leading software engineers with agile principles and practices.
- Hands on experience in building scalable cloud native software platforms/applications.
- Hands on experience applying design patterns and programming best practices.
- Very strong experience in Data Structures, Algorithms, Problem solving skills.
- Strong design skills and excellent coding experience with high quality for production use in scalable systems.
- Strong Java/J2EE, Python or scripting experience.
- 4+ years of experience with Java building multi-threaded high performance scalable applications.
- 4+ years of experience with automated unit and integration testing.
- 4+ years of experience with Maven.
- 4+ years of experience with Slf4j or Log4j.
- 4+ years of experience with Git or Mercurial.
- Must have strong SQL skills and DB knowledge, NoSQL.
- UI development skills will be an advantage.
- Strong understanding of CS Fundamentals, Data Structures, Algorithms and Problem Solving.
- Technical mindset and product development driven experience and ability to deep dive on technical issues and provide guidance to the team.
- Passion for quick learning and adapting in a fast-paced global environment.
- Strong sense of ownership, focus on quality, responsiveness, efficiency, and innovation.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with distributed teams in a collaborative and productive manner.
- Experience with Azure cloud services such as App Service, Batch Service, Storage Service, Search Service, Service Bus, Container Registries, Traffic Manager, App Insights.
- Experience with Docker container concepts and management.
- Experience with Spring MVC, Spring Boot, Spring Cache, Spring Scheduling, Spring Async, Spring Configuration, Spring Framework.
- Experience with JUnit or TestNg and Mockito.
- Experience with Typescript and AngularJS.
- Strong understanding of NLU, NLP, machine learning.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and 5 years’ experience in software engineering or related field OR 7 years’ experience in software
engineering or related field.
2 years’ supervisory experience.Preferred Qualifications...
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field and 4 years' experience in software engineering or related fieldPrimary Location...
603 MUNGER AVE STE 400, DALLAS, TX 75202, United States of America
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Save money. Live better.