Research Scientist, Conversational AI
This job is no longer accepting applications.
At Facebook Reality Labs Research, our goal is to explore, innovate, and design novel interfaces and hardware for virtual, augmented, and mixed reality experiences. We are driving research towards a vision of an always-on augmented reality device that can enable high-quality contextually relevant interactions across a range of complex, dynamic, real-world tasks in natural environments; to achieve this goal, our team draws on methods and knowledge from artificial intelligence, machine learning, computer vision, and human–computer interaction. We are looking for a skilled and motivated researcher with expertise in conversational AI, goal-oriented dialogue systems, task-oriented dialogue systems, or related fields to join our team. More broadly, the chosen candidate will work with a diverse and highly interdisciplinary team of researchers and engineers and will have access to cutting edge technology, resources, and testing facilities.
In this position, you will work with an interdisciplinary team of domain experts in embodied artificial intelligence (AI), human–computer interaction, natural language understanding, computer vision, and cognitive and perceptual science on problems that contribute to creating human-centered contextual interactive systems. The position will involve developing novel multimodal and natural language dialogue systems designed to rapidly disambiguate the user’s intent in the contextually aware human–machine interface that will underpin our future AR/VR devices. These models will leverage large-scale real-world data sets and the scale of Facebook machine-learning infrastructure, and will be deployed into AR/VR prototypes to uncover research questions on the path to the next era of human-centered computing.Research Scientist, Conversational AI Responsibilities
- Develop and execute a cutting-edge research program aimed at goal-oriented/task-oriented dialogue systems in next-generation, contextually aware human–machine interfaces
- Develop tasks, data-collection strategies, modeling approaches, and evaluation criteria to deliver on research program objectives
- Work collaboratively with other research scientists to develop novel solutions and models in service of contextualized AI for augmented reality
- Mentor MS/PhD interns and postdocs and collaborate with external academic groups to advance our research goals
- Experience holding a faculty, industry, or government researcher position
- PhD degree in computer science, machine learning, artificial intelligence, or related technical field and publication track record
- 5+ years of experience defining and leading advanced research in NLP, natural language understanding, natural language generation, conversational AI, or dialogue systems
- 3+ years of experience in at least one deep-learning software library (e.g., PyTorch, Caffe2, TensorFlow, Keras, Chainer), which should include formulation, training, and evaluation of new algorithms and writing reusable Python modules
- 3+ years of experience in building research-grade NLP, speech, or deep-learning systems
- Interpersonal experience: cross-group and cross-culture collaboration
- Must obtain work authorization in country of employment at the time of hire, and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment
- Experience leading a research team in solving modeling problems using AI/ML approaches
- Experience working with modern tools in natural language processing, including transformers, conversational systems, chat bots, language models, or similar
- Familiarity with concepts from Bayesian optimal experimental design, information theory, and multimodal machine learning
- Proven track record of achieving results as demonstrated by grants, fellowships, patents, as well as publications at workshops or conferences such as ACL, EMNLP, NAACL, AAAI, ICML, NeurIPS, or similar
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. You may view our Equal Employment Opportunity notice here. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. We may use your information to maintain the safety and security of Facebook, its employees, and others as required or permitted by law. You may view Facebook's Pay Transparency Policy, Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notice, and Notice to Applicants for Employment and Employees by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Facebook participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Our mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together.