Automatic Speech Recognition Engineer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
A Little Bit About Us:
Balto was founded to redefine how humans and machines work together to optimize human communication, and we're just scratching the surface. If you're excited by the opportunity to join a dynamic team initiating a technological revolution in Real-Time Guidance, Balto is for you.
More than just a company, Balto is a community, a community committed to empowering each of our members and serving our community. This mission is at the heart of our organization. As an ASR Engineer, you will be solving cutting-edge conversational AI challenges and driving the core component of Balto’s Industry-leading real-time transcription platform.
Balto's Real-Time Guidance understands phone conversations and tells people what to say, live in their conversations. In 2018, Balto guided less than a million conversations; today, Balto has guided over fifty million conversations (we celebrated with cake). By the end of this year, Balto will guide over 200M conversations.
Real-time Guidance is a brand new product category, and Balto is leading the pack. We're making sure that humans understand each other - the opportunities are endless.
Balto's customers, including name-brand retailers and Fortune 500s, use Balto's real-time guidance technology to scale "perfect" to thousands of sales and service agents with the push of a button and get immediate insight into what's working on their phone calls and what's not.
But enough about us, let's talk about you!
Here's what a ASR Engineer does:
“The limits of my language means the limits of my world” - Ludwig Wittgenstein
Your mission will be to blend research and experimentation on cutting-edge ML and ASR techniques with a focus on getting your work to customers immediately.
So what does it take to fulfill this crucial role?
We’re looking for an innovative and passionate ASR Engineer ready to tackle groundbreaking Conversational AI challenges. You will have a data set of tens of millions of transcribed conversations, a cross-functional team, and access to the industry giants on our AI advisory board (In addition to your fantastic teammates, of course!). You will be entrusted with the autonomy to solve fascinating problems and make a massive impact from day one.
What kinds of responsibilities might you take on?
- Experimenting and refining acoustic and language models.
- Research and develop state of the art models and techniques for ASR.
- Propose and implement metrics to measure the model performance at scale.
- Guide the collection and processes behind managing model drift and retraining.
- Shape the next generation of our ASR Engineer including support for multiple languages
- PhD or Masters Degree in Machine Learning, Computer Science, or related fields (or comparable work experience).
- Experience in delivering product-driven ASR to an active customer base.
- Comfort with all phases of ASR development including conception, problem definition, iteration, publication (if applicable) and productionization.
- Extensive experience with open source ASR frameworks.
- Strong programming skills in bash, c, python.
Nice to Have:
- Experience with pytorch, tensorflow, keras is helpful.
We have plenty of benefits. Baltonians rave about these the most.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance to make quality healthcare affordable.
- Life insurance to protect your loved ones in the worst-case scenario.
- 401k to save for your retirement.
- Unlimited Paid Time Off to give you the flexibility to make relaxation, family, and community priorities.
- Parental leave for you to spend that precious time with your newest family member.
- Generous stock options, so you can be a meaningful owner of the company as it grows.
- A quarterly professional development of stipend of $1,000 to inspire continuous professional growth. You can use it for nearly anything that makes you a better version of yourself - from chess lessons to college courses (this one is definitely a crowd-favorite).
Start with gratitude: Stay humble, recognize others, and make the most of everything.
Always be growing: Never stop learning. Be a force of growth for yourself and others.
Leadership is Ownership: See the problem. Do the solution. Own the result.
We have all kinds of people, including musicians, chefs, painters, gear heads, gardeners, philosophers, gamers, movie buffs, woodworkers, and polo players. And at least one aspiring hockey player... we'll see.
Baltonians say things like:
- "Coming together as a team to build something innovative and unique."
- "Contagious energy that keeps me motivated all day."
- "I L-O-V-E it at Balto since day one! They know how to have fun while getting the work done."
Is Balto named after that Cartoon Dog?
Well, kind of - that cartoon dog was actually named after a real dog. Balto successfully guided his pack through a harrowing journey across Nome, Alaska, in 1925 to deliver medicine to the ice-locked town. We liked the metaphor: our technology guides people to be successful throughout their conversations, scouting ahead and providing helpful support. Just like in 1925, a human is still in charge, but humans (and dogs) are always better off with a companion.
Fun Fact: After his journey, Balto was recognized as a hero with a commemorative statue in Central Park. We've visited, and he looked like this.
Please share the role with your friends. Don't worry; you won't compete for the position; we're happy to hire two (or more) candidates. The door is always open for great people.
Balto is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant based on race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual preference, age, and veteran or disability status.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Help Agents Say the Right Thing on Every Single Call