SENIOR DATA SCIENTIST, NLP / CONVERSATIONAL AI
About this Position
If you like disrupting the norm and are looking for a company revolutionizing an industry then you will LOVE what Carvana has done for the car buying experience. Buying a car the old fashioned way sucks and we are working hard to make it NOT suck. At Carvana, our customers can hop online to...
- Search and browse our inventory of over 20,000 vehicles that we own and certify.
- Narrow down search results using highly intelligent filtering tools/components.
- View vehicle details, Carfax reports, and 360 rotating studio images for every vehicle.
- Secure financing in minutes using Carvana’s in-house service or their own bank.
- Interact with GUI components to easily customize loan length, down payment, and monthly payment.
- Generate, upload, and eSign all documents online (no ink necessary).
- Schedule front door delivery or pick up at one of our Car vending machines.
- Trade-in their existing vehicle or just sell it to Carvana (no purchase necessary!).
About the team and position
The Conversational AI team is a talented and humble group of people with backgrounds in Product, Design, Data Science and Engineering, that are focused on Human& lt;& gt;Computer interaction (HCI). Our core product is a communication platform that car buyers, sellers and Carvana Advocates rely on every day for a seamless car shopping experience. We focus immensely on the end-consumer and build our systems ground-up to deliver on that experience. We do so by researching and prototyping new advancements in NLP and by working as a team to deploy new features and services to production.
As a core member of our Conversational AI team, you will have the opportunity to build or improve various components of a modern chatbot such as intent classification and response generation. You will work across many areas of Natural Language Processing and Computer Vision to power products that make it easier for customers to get answers to their questions and help scale our Advocate teams. You’ll own and contribute to solving text/document classification, entity extraction, speech recognition, search and information retrieval, question answering, response/content generation models as well as evangelize their usage in Carvana’s broader product offerings. You will have the opportunity to work closely with our Product, Experience and Software Engineering teams to deliver impact on every aspect of the purchase process, from search to vehicle delivery.
What you’ll be doing
- Own and enhance our topic and intent classification models by researching and applying SOTA techniques and algorithms to help customers get answers to thousands of questions about the car-buying/selling/financing life-cycle (search, selection, financing, trade, purchase, delivery, service)
- Develop entity recognition models, and enhance existing ones
- Contribute to solving Search and Question Answering problems to help our Advocates find relevant answers and content from hundreds of training documents, which helps them service our customers better
- Work with our Data and Engineering teams to couple front-end systems with back-end data and ML inference services
- Communicate effectively with engineers, product managers and data scientists
What you should have
- 3+ years as a Data Scientist or Machine Learning Engineer with a Masters Degree
- Extensive experience in Deep Learning & ML frameworks and libraries like Tensorflow, PyTorch, Keras, Scikit-learn, Numpy/Scipy, SpaCy, NLTK, Pandas
- Experience with NLP and Transformer-based models like BERT, GPT, T5
- Experience in SQL and relational databases like Postgres, MySQL, SQL Server
- Experience with cloud APIs (e.g., GCP, AWS, Azure)
- Self-starter who loves diving into unstructured and structured datasets, building proof of concepts and understanding how to incorporate the latest research into solutions
- Strong foundation in algorithms and data structures and their real-world use cases.
It would be great if you also had
- Experience with Kubernetes and Docker
- Experience with Scala, JVM
- Ph.D. in a STEM or related field
- Knowledge of or experience with reinforcement learning, speech recognition, and computer vision, and dialog systems
What we’ll offer in return
- Full-Time Salary Position with a competitive salary
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits
- 401K with company match
- A multitude of perks including student loan payments, discounts on vehicles, benefits for your pets, and much more
- A great wellness program to keep you healthy and happy both physically and mentally
- Access to opportunities to expand your skillset and share your knowledge with others across the organization
- A company culture of promotions from within, with a start-up atmosphere allowing for varied and rapid career development
- A seat in one of the fastest-growing companies in the country
To be able to do your job at Carvana, there are some basic requirements we want to share with you.
- Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand English.
Of course, we’ll make any reasonable accommodations for those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their jobs.
Hiring is contingent on passing a complete background check. This role is eligible for visa sponsorship.
Carvana is an equal employment opportunity employer. All applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Carvana also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
Please note this job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Your application has been successfully submitted.