There’s never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won’t happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
This is a remote position; the selected candidate can reside and perform the work from anywhere within the United States.
Do you have a passion for problem-solving and storytelling? Are you obsessed with studying, understanding and responding to user needs? Do you want to create engaging interfaces that solve real problems and delight users? Then imagine what you can do working with a like-minded, multi-disciplinary team.
Our Customer Experience Design group is seeking a passionate Conversation Designer with expertise in Multimodal Product Design. In this role, you will help us set strategic direction and craft groundbreaking experiences across multiple brands and digital platforms. Our work touches millions of lives across web, mobile, wearable, vehicle, and conversational interfaces.
As a Conversation Designer, you will collaborate with other designers, researchers, technologists, and business partners to create meaningful experiences, specify conversational behaviors, analyze content domains, determine interactional flows, and write system responses.
- Own and lead conversational design and specifications for experiences across multiple brands and digital platforms
- Collaborate closely with team members to craft extraordinary user experiences across multi-modal products and platforms
- Balance user needs, technical constraints, and business objectives to solve problems effectively
- Craft conversational designs for voice-enabled and messaging interfaces, advocating usability and user-centered design principles
- Create design deliverables including dialog and user flows, sketches, prototypes, wireframes, and meticulous multimodal user interface specifications
- Support and analyze user experience research and testing to validate designs and find opportunities to improve the customer experience
- Contribute to requirements gathering sessions and user stories from multiple teams and stakeholders
- Advocate for exceptional user experiences at all stages of the product and at all organizational levels.
- Empathy: You are curious about how other people work, live, and think, you will enjoy meeting the users of our products, and thinking about design by visualizing yourself as one who will use it.
- Creativity: You can generate numerous potential solutions to a problem. More importantly, designers can screen out bad ideas and identify good ones. In our design environment, a designer needs the ability to brainstorm without ego attachment to any particular idea.
- Superb communication skills: You can communicate broad concepts as well as fine detail through written and graphical media. You can convey design solutions through sketches and visualizations, as well as through prose.
- A quick study: You can understand systems and processes, both in software and in the real world. You will be required to digest and understand the many complex factors that govern vehicle design, from social and peer norms to a multinational regulatory environment. You will be able to successfully navigate those factors as you create design solutions.
- Outstanding collaboration skills: You are an effortless collaborator. You welcome ideas from any source and are prepared to build on them to make the work of your team successful.
- Comfort with ambiguity: You are comfortable working in a space where problems and solutions are not well defined. You can cope with change, shift gears comfortably, and can decide and act without having the total picture.
Additional Job Description
- Proven background with conversational design and related technologies
- Passion to create delightful design solutions that combine vision with strong creative and tactical planning
- Strong portfolio with work samples showcasing expertise in user experience design, craft, aesthetics, and depth of thought
- Experience in working across organizational boundaries to define, manage, and prioritize work
- Experience incorporating research and user data into the design process and roadmaps.
- Ability to apply high level conversational patterns across product areas.
- Strong written, visual, and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated experience using tools to design, document, and prototype both multimodal as well as voice-only experiences
- 7 year experience designing and writing natural dialog flows for AI, voice assistants, chatbots, or other multimodal/ conversational applications for consumer products and services.
- Bachelor’s degree in Interaction Design, Linguistics, HCI, Product Design, or related discipline.
Please only apply if you DO NOT need sponsorship to work in the Unites States now or in the future. We are unable to consider candidates who require sponsorship.
Compensation: The median level of salary compensation for this role is $98,856.00.
Bonus Potential: An incentive pay program offers payouts based on company performance, job level, and individual performance.
Benefits: GM offers a variety of health and wellbeing benefit programs. Benefit options include medical, dental, vision, Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Accounts, retirement savings plan, sickness and accident benefits, life insurance, paid vacation & holidays, tuition assistance programs, employee assistance program, GM vehicle discounts and more.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We’re on a journey to create a world with zero crashes, zero emissions and zero congestion. See how we’ll get there.